Saturday 27 April 2013

Salute 2013: ExCel Centre


Picture stolen and cropped from Sidney's Blog.
Didn't go to Salute last year as I was suffering from work related stresses, but did manage to attend this year.  Photographic evidence as proof provided above.  I didn't take a camera to take pictures of the show, so you will all have to go to the following sites to see pictures:

Roundwood's World
Wargaming Girl, here, here, here and here.
The Angry Lurker, here and here.

Anything I might have added to the above would, I think, appear redundant.

Did I enjoy the show?  In hindsight yes, but at the time not so much.  I had been having a rough week and as one of my friends said to me on the day, "You sound like you are ready to throw yourself under the wargaming table".  I only bought one thing, and that was the new issue of Miniature Wargames.

However, I met up with Henry, which was good.  Bumped into friends, which is always good.  Had Tamsin sweep me up in passing and give me a hug, so still all good. 

Also got to see and ask questions about Dropzone Commander from Hawk Games, which will help me finish my review for Miniature wargames.  I then went to talk to Richard and the other guys from TooFatLardies, and saw Chain of Command demonstrated in the flesh, which was awesome.  Nick has done a podcast you can listen to here.

Left around 15.00 and came home as my feet hurt and I was feeling pretty exhausted by it all.  I really had trouble coping with the level of illumination in the hall, which I found quite upsetting as I couldn't focus on anything properly.  I was told that this was a sign of getting old, and needing more light to be able to see things clearly.

Got home, put my feet up and read the new white cover issue of Miniature Wargames.  Bliss.  It felt like the first time I read the first issue, back in 1984 when I was ever so young.  I may no longer be young, but the joy I got from reading the issue recharged my enthusiasm for my hobby.
  

12 comments:

  1. I'm really starting to miss Salute. I haven't been to it for years, it's true, but now I'm 10,000 miles away it looks more attractive every year. Something to aim for if I ever manage to afford a trip back to the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salute is a great show but so big it is utterly exhausting. It was great to meet up with other bloggers though and put some faces to names. I really enjoyed the new Miniature Wargames, so much so I subscribed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is somthing I would like to do one day but unfortunately I'm on the wrong side of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was good to finally get to chat to you Ashley. I know what you mean about sore feet - I'd learnt my lesson from last year and wore trainers with some cushioning, but they still hurt towards the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my best comfy old trainers on too, and my plates of meat were still suffering at the end of the day.

      Delete
  5. ExCel is a really horrid site. I've always thought so, and now that I've been to Essen and seen an exhibition hall done right I think so even more. Huge identical one-size-fits-all halls as opposed to a bunch of different shapes and sizes, toilets only outside the halls and mostly down stairs, echoing rooms without sound diffusers, lighting that's both too harsh and too dim at the same time... I hate to think what the worldcon's going have to do next year to make it liveable.

    In spite of that I really enjoyed the day, mostly because of the people - both the ones I knew and the ones who took time to answer my stupid questions.

    I picked up some Army Painter spray primers and ink wash, and sooner or later I really am going to get on with painting some 'Mechs...

    My solution to sore feet was five hours drinking in the Greenwich Union before I went home but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right and we shall see what the Con committee do, if there is anything that they can do that is, to improve the venue when the time comes I guess.

      Delete
  6. Great photo of all you, Ashley! I'm really pleased I got that one of the group. It was terrific meeting all of you. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen you at a couple of shows and now have found your blog. So next time our paths cross I'll know to say hallow. All the best Clint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. Look forward to meeting you in meat space. :-)

      Delete
  8. To say I'm a bit late catching up is an understatement, but it was good to see you too, and thank you for the blush-inducing compliments! H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is too easy to get you to blush Henry, I hardly have to try. ;-)

      Delete